Sunday, November 09, 2008

Social Marketing

How do we develop relationships today? Since Bowling Alone began the discussion, we appear to have become even more isolated from each other in person. Yet, we also appear to be more connected than ever.

I go to a conference in Orlando while sitting on my couch, throwing questions up on the screen to the moderator, while comments fly from others doing the same thing around the country. Then I click over to my tweetdeck to get 140 character live blogging synopsis of the presentations.

While watching the Packer game, I check on my FaceBook page and learn an old classmate of mine just got engaged. When I write on their wall another old friend pops up asking for friend status. I look away from the game for a minute and miss a really ugly injury to a Vikings player. The commentators say it is so bad they won't show the video. I turn again to my tweetdeck and send out a request for an answer. Within a minute comes a response from a guy in Fond du Lac that I have chatted with a couple of times with an answer.

Are any of these relationships? If not, why not?

I write blog posts in several places. People comment, sometimes LOUDLY, and I feel I know every one of them. Even if I haven't broken bread or had a beer with them, I still have a connection. I would like some time to meet everyone I chat with on line, but for now, knowing I am talking with folks and sharing stories, to me is a relationship.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It indeed is a great relationship, I agree with you that when you share your posts comments and stories, they do develop some kind of a relationship. I loved this post.