Monday, March 03, 2008

Building A Business Brick by Brick

One month ago I signed all the paperwork to become a Real Estate Agent.

Today is the first day in a month I can finally begin to see progress. I feel like a construction worker, lay a brick, slather with mortar, lay another brick, slather with mortar. The bricks are the solid foundations: a desk, business cards, education, advertising. The mortar are all the connections that firm up the foundation: announcement letters, referrals, social on-line sites, professional connections, website, blog.

The list of things that must be done is not only infinite but fascinating. Each thing you do shows you other connections, other foundations you can also build on. My previous career it was exclusively word of mouth, who you knew, who called you for what job. There was really no opportunity for self promotion except maybe around the bar at 4 a.m. on election night.

When I reach my two month anniversary I hope to be adding the roof of my new adventure. It will definitely be a green roof with lots of grass, trees and flowers so I can venture up and enjoy everything I have done from the top.

No comments: