Sunday, July 06, 2008

Gas and the 4th of July

I just read a fascinating article in the New York Times this morning about how we ended up in this energy mess, when for the last forty years we have known it is coming.

One quote particularly stood out to me, "Mr. (Newt) Gingrich says, 'Our culture favors driving long distances in powerful vehicles and the car as a social expression.'" There is no arguing the accuracy of the statement, nor the has been rationale behind it.

On Friday night as I sat in my front yard watching the crowd thin from Menominee Park after the fireworks, I saw an historical record of our past oil consumption love and the new (perhaps old) direction we should and will be taking.

The cars lined up in traffic were mostly big SUVs and trucks, idling one after another, for their chance to zoom back out to the former farm fields where 3 car garages now take up residence. A few vehicles were filled were excited revelers, but most had one or two bodies occupying a space befitting a family of 10.

The new direction that passed in front of my vantage point was one of bicycles, strollers, walkers and neighbors. It used to be like this and appears we are heading back to the future. I know this is a good place to go.

As I work to encourage folks to consider living in town, in our older neighborhoods, I often describe a scene as played out Friday night. Some one will definitely argue they must drive to the fireworks as they don't live in my neighborhood. Very true, but why are they not demanding the city provide public transportation to Sawdust Days and the fireworks?

We were a culture of "driving long distances in powerful vehicles." Today we are a neighborhood culture.

No comments: