Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Blogging the Flood

A week later and now maybe it is time to talk about the flood. So many folks lost so much. Just a drive around town and the terraces display the devastation of the backed up storm drains, overflowing pipes and 10 inches of rain.

I spent Friday morning with worried and some times scared buyers. "Did my new house get water ... how much water?" What should come next? Do I proceed, do I cancel closing?

As I drove around all areas of town one thing struck me, no "side" of town was spared. This was a shared experience. People were trapped by the flooded streets in every neighborhood. Basements were overrun on Villa Park, 4th Ave and Washington. Foundations collapsed on 8th ave and Doemel.

We were lucky in my house, not a drop of water. Why? I have no idea. Three doors down they were talking feet of water in their basement and next door a few inches.

Real Estate ads on Sunday were already advertising homes that didn't flood. Is this our new marketing campaign, tomorrow's selling advantage?

Maybe a little more time should pass before we use this community tragedy as a new ad tag line.

No comments: